The use of Reason and reasonable argumentation, the reclaiming of the idea of Progress and the struggle against dogma. In this post-modern world, reinventing Enlightenment is of the utmost importance.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Terminator IV- Rise of the Idiots




The death penalty has been a controversial topic for decades if not centuries with advocates from both sides throwing strong arguments for and against.

I for one have no doubts of its unsuitability both as a punishment and as a deterrent and my reasons are so clear and dogmatic that I have no inclination to even entertain such discussion.

Therefore this post is not about the death penalty but about its latest episode: I speak of the execution of Stanley "Tookie" Williams this morning in California (The one in the US not Europe).
More specifically it is about the rise of mediocrity to the highest levels of society.

Frighteningly the whole affair of whether Stanley Williams should live or not ended up in the callous hands of a body builder, come movie star, come governor of California: Mr Terminator himself- Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Mr Schwarzenegger denied clemency after "studying the evidence, searching the history, listening to the arguments and wrestling with the profound consequences". I am sure he did…

I personally do not hold anything against Arnie; I always thought he was quite capable at playing the relentless, merciless and unstoppable killing machine in Terminator.

What really saddens me is how over and over again we are seeing the US (and other dare I say) political scene taken over by unqualified, illiterate and inexperienced people. I mean, after all it is not Burkina Faso (no disrespect meant to BF), there are plenty of intelligent and qualified people in the US. Why do we keep seeing the rise of cowboys and Hollywood actors to the highest levels of Power?

I would like to feel sympathy for Arnie, for his decision could not have been easy but I can’t. In the end, like that other famous politician, he is just a puppet of the upper clusters of US Republican spheres.

My sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Stanley "Tookie" Williams. I hope they can find strength in their hearts to understand the absurdity of all this.

10 Comments:

Blogger Goncaluskas said...

Did you Know....

Portugal was the first country in Europe to abolish the death penalty?

1:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is unstoppable, I almost shitted myself laughing.

1:41 PM

 
Blogger Goncaluskas said...

Thank you.

1:46 PM

 
Anonymous Peppe said...

What do the Countries in western Europe have in common?

And what do the following countries have in common: North Korea, Iran, China, Cuba, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Libya and the United States?

/Peppe from Flat 15C Park Circus Place

3:23 PM

 
Blogger Goncaluskas said...

Hi Pepe, If I guess correctly these are countries where the death penalty is still in place. Am I correct?

6:01 PM

 
Blogger Arrebenta said...

Ó, David, quer participar no The Great Portuguese Disaster (em português, obviamente?)

8:20 PM

 
Anonymous Peppe said...

You are correct Gonco. When a country gets to conservative (either to preserve religious values or other totalitarian values) you need to be harsh on the people to help them stay in their place....A more libaral view would be to look into what causes a crime - not kill the symptoms (the criminal) to prevent future crimes.


But I must also say that there are some states in the U.S. that are far more liberal than many European countries.

5:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sympathy goes to the fucker, right?
Do u know what he did in the first place?

Why don't u tell us?

8:31 AM

 
Anonymous Peppe said...

I'm not saying that a criminal shouldn't get a punishment.

No, my sympathy goes to the victim and her/his nearest.

Do you find a human life undisputedly "sacred"? If the answer is yes: how can it be justfied to take an other man's (a murderer's) life?

If a supossed criminal turnouts to be innocent - hard to rectify an execution....

11:49 AM

 
Blogger Goncaluskas said...

Thanks Pepe for your reply. I agree 100 per cent with you.
To the anonynous post I would like to say that assuming he did kill these people he should be put into jail for life. As for killing him; two wrongs do not make a right.
In reply to your question; of course I do have sympathy for the victims. What I don't have sympathy is for the "eye for an eye" shit cause that road only leads one way and that is the way to human anihilation

4:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home