The use of Reason and reasonable argumentation, the reclaiming of the idea of Progress and the struggle against dogma. In this post-modern world, reinventing Enlightenment is of the utmost importance.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Religious hatred laws are dangerous

I would advise all readers to consider the current discussion going on in the uk regarding religious hatred laws. Go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4664398.stm for the full article.

Also have a look at the discussion forum there.

I found a gem of a comment from Sarah Cornwell of London, I wish we could have her in our pub.

"As long as the adherents of any religion feel that they have the right to comment on my morals and attempt to influence my right to have an abortion/ to choose an assisted suicide/ for my children to learn of evolutionary theory, then I should have the right to criticise them for whatever act of bigotry they are currently propagating. As an atheist, I'm sick of being held to ransom by someone else's belief in a non-existent diety.
Sarah Cornwell, London"

6 Comments:

Blogger Goncaluskas said...

"Religion and war are the oldest allies in the history of human culture. Legislation which empowers the status of religion (as something which should be 'respected') does so at a high cost: it legitimises war."

Adam Dyer

12:38 PM

 
Blogger A. Cabral said...

Way to go, Sarah!

1:43 PM

 
Blogger A. Cabral said...

As way of linking posts, let me clarify a thing or two about my intentions. I am a passionate atheist, and I wish I could have express it as well as Sarah!

My point is not that religion is a good thing, or that it should be given free reign over the running of our public affairs. Instead, I merely point to the fact that no religion can be made unpolitical. We are talking about systems of right and wrong and they translate into how societies should be run. A priest will always have to say something about how people should or should not behave. That too is being political.

I think 1. we should acknowledge that religion is about doing politics, 2. we should interact with it as with any other political system of ideas, identifying the progressive bits and the reactionary ones, accepting and rejecting in reason.

1:49 PM

 
Blogger Goncaluskas said...

The big difference my friend is that you can argue rationally with other political system of ideas but You can not argue rationally with someone who waves a religious book at you everytime they are loosing ground.

I speak from experience as I used to entertain some Jeovah witnesses when I lived in Lisbon. It was fun! Eventually after getting several intelectual beatings they got the senior elder to come and see me but he too got a bit of a trashing. I suppose Bertrand Russel has its uses...eh, eh..

2:06 PM

 
Blogger daviduskas said...

It sure does...Bro, I also enterntaied some religious fanatics. One of the bitches was so passionate, her eyes so hot that it gave me such a hard on that nearly pushed her in and fucked her inside out.

T this day I regret not having doing so...

2:29 PM

 
Blogger A. Cabral said...

It is equally difficult to convince a religious zealot than it is to convince a neoliberal one. But that does not mean people do not think about their religion, their beliefs, and its meaning. Lets give people some credit.

Besides, throwing the Bible, the Wealth of Nations, or Mein Kampf at my face only works if I recognise in it any authority.

4:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home